Cryptocurrency is the latest currency form that uses cryptography, which is an encryption form impossible to fake. Will cryptocurrency replace fiat? The increase in cryptocurrency has instigated a debate on the fiat currency future.
The virtual currency is getting global acceptance slowly, but there is a long way for it to get into the mainstream. Many investors view cryptocurrency investment as a way for increasing wealth rapidly because of its high volatile nature.
To understand how fiat currency and crypto coin trading works you need to get familiar with the difference between both. Cryptocurrency information and the Dogecoin wallet necessary to store DOGE can be got from ZenGo X website.
Fiat vs. cryptocurrencies
- Unlike fiat, cryptocurrency is decentralized. It means there is no central authority to support it. So, digital currency is less credible than hard cash.
- Cryptocurrency is more volatile and its price is driven by the trader’s speculative nature.
- Investors are focused on increasing their wealth quickly via buying cryptos because of their cheap rate [hoping their rates will go to the moon].
- Crypto coins don’t need a medium to validate trades like banks in fiat currency transactions. In crypto, blockchain technology verifies the transactions. All trading activities are permanently recorded, thus improving crypto exchange security.
- Unlike fiat, some cryptocurrencies have a cap on the amount that is issued.
- The cryptocurrency trade market is available 24/7 because of its decentralized nature.
- Fiat currency value and prices are more stable than crypto coin, as it is still new.
- Crypto is more secure than fiat currency as they are based on blockchain technology and cryptography.
- To buy cryptocurrency first time on crypto exchanges, you need fiat currencies.
- Cryptocurrency is considered superior because its transaction fees are very low and it is processed instantly in comparison.
- Cryptocurrencies cannot be reversed or changed after they are created. Fiat currencies are subject to central banks’ manipulation and inflation.
- Fiat money gets most of its value from debt. It means when people don’t borrow money there would not be any collar in circulation. Cryptocurrency has intrinsic value based on how effective it is as an exchange medium in the crypto community.
- Cryptocurrencies can exist only online and are stored in wallets. For example, Tether stablecoin is stored in USDT wallet. Fiat money can be stored in banks and various other forms.
Similarities between fiat and cryptocurrencies
There is a vast difference between crypto and fiat currencies but they do share some remarkable similarities.
Both exist in digital form
Crypto is known widely as a digital asset. Fiat currency is also held in electronic form behind the scenes since computers got launched. It is studied that 10% of the world’s money is in physical printed legal tender form, while 90% exists as digital records controlled by world commercial banks managing the financial market account.
Both derive their value today from global acceptance. More acceptances are equivalent to more credibility.
Both can be divided into smaller denominations – one dollar can be divided into 100 cents, while 1 BTC can be divided into 8 decimal points i.e. 0.00000001 bitcoins.
Fiat is still dominant but cryptocurrency is the next step in money evolution!